1.7
Insurance Quality

I purchased the AIG flight cancellation policy in case the event I was planning to attend was changed or called off. It was scrubbed, but when I went to cancel the flight, I learned that the "insurance" was only good in cases of the death of a family member or serious illness.

Travelocity does not make this clear or, if they do, it's tucked away in some corner of the screen where it won't be noticed by the average customer.

Their customer service was no help, so I contacted the Airline (Alaska), which offered me the price of the ticket as credit good for one year--which I will almost certainly not have reason to use--for a "reduced" $100 cancellation fee. In other words, I get the privilege of paying almost $500 and getting nothing in return, instead of just skipping the flight and eating the nearly $400 cost of the ticket.

Totally unacceptable.

Product or Service Mentioned: American International Group Travel Insurance.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

I didn't like: Deceptive flight cancellation insurance policies.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Feb 26.

Comments

Normally the insurance only covers illness or death. In the future, be sure to ask what are the reasons one could cancel and receive their monies back.I had two friends who had to cancel trips, both for illness of themselves or a family member and they had no problem with cancellation.