Travelocity - They need to get out of the car rental business

Be very careful if you book your car rental through Travelocity.We booked through Travelocity and the price for a Hertz rental car picked up in Naples, Italy for 2 weeks was 371.12.

The insurance was an extra $154.00. We get to Naples and go into Hertz and was told that the car & its insurance was $1,747.77. Yep, you're reading it right. See pics.

We weren't the only ones this happened to. Other people in line were outraged as well. Hertz told us that all the other car rentals were about the same price. What could we do but pay them.

Same thing happened when we rented a car (through Travelocity) in New York and was charged an extra $300 at the car rental counter.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Monetary loss:
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #857925 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Travelocity? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 13 #1172765

It's not Travelocity's fault that Hertz didn't have the car you reserved. You should have stood your ground. If you had the Panda reserved, then Hertz has to either provide the Panda or an equivalent car at the same price. You can't blame Travelocity of you let Hertz talk you into an upsell. Did you call Travelocity from the Hertz counter? When I've had problems with reservations made through Travelocity, they have always used their clout to make the provider honor the reservation.
All the other costs are either optional costs that you agreed to (Fuel pre-payment? Who the @#$% pays that instead of bringing the car back full?) or taxes and fees that are never included.

Jun 04 #1168696

That is the BASE cost.
Had you shown up and taken the Fiat Panda and declined any extras, that is what you would have paid.
However, you elected to have nicer car than a Panda (vehicle upsell) navigation, etc.
You honestly felt that all the extras were FREE?

Jun 04 #1168707

They didn't have the Fiat Panda when we arrived. It was not an "upgrade" and certainly not "nicer" and it was smaller than the Panda and it was not an automatic (which I reserved). We needed a car & had no choice but to accept the one they offered. It was the cheapest & smallest of them off. We were not the only ones pissed. Other customers in line experienced the same deception. I get that the GPS was extra, however, it was outdated by 5 years. The major cost was the travel insurance. I have it in writing that the
car rental insurance" for May 15 - May 28 was $154 total. That wasn't what was charged. Then there was a VAT fee of $315.17 which was never mentioned on my Travelocity confirmation. C'mon. I don't have a problem paying for some extras but to reserve a car ...with insurance....for approximately $500 (dollars) and end up paying 1,800 (IN EUROS!) is excessive. How would you feel if you planned your entire vacation, hotels all over Italy paid for (and non-refundable) and get to a car rental counter expecting to pay $500 (+GPS) and end up being charged over $1,300 ADDITIONAL. And again, I repeat, they did NOT have the Panda Fiat and the "something similar" was $200 more! We were stuck & had to pay it. What was I to do? Tell me. What was I to do when we already flew from LAX to Naples, hotels all over Italy paid for? Tell me, what were we to do? Other car rentals were charging the same amount. Travelocity has no business handling the
... Show more

Jun 13 #1172732

What was included in your intial quote for the car rental from Travelocity?

Jun 15 #1173774

I just checked on Travelocity for Naples, and it showed the pretty much the same cost.
THEN, it lists extras (as in extra cost) which are not included in the initial quote.
Therefore, the more extras you purchase, the more it costs, really simple.
Answer me this.
A Dealer has a car advertised for a price of say, $16,000 plus taxes and fees.
You purchase window tint, extended warranty, undercoating, tire and rim protection, etc. You would then complain you were not sold the car for the advertised price? Same thing with your rental car, you purchased extras which cost extra!

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Travelocity. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Travelocity.
Filing a new complaint about