2.7
Number of Destinations

On September 17th, 2015, I booked four plane tickets on Air China from San Francisco to Mumbai, via Beijing. We also included two rooms for three nights at the Taj Palace Hotel in Mumbai. The itinerary number is 119876241871. Departure was scheduled for Saturday, February 6th, returning on February 19th.

On November 21st, I received an email from Travelocity informing me of a “significant” change with those flights. I phoned Travelocity, was placed on hold for at least twenty minutes, and then was told there was no change, and no need for concern.

On December 7th, I received a similar email from Travelocity. I again phoned, was again placed on endless hold, and was again told there was no change and no reason for concern.

On December 21st, I received yet another similar email from Travelocity. This time I escalated the call to a supervisor, by the name of Alejandro, and was again told there was no change and no need for concern. That call lasted over 90 minutes, and I was compensated with a $200 credit from Travelocity.

On our day of departure, we arrived at SFO 2.5 hours prior to departure, and we were told by Air China that the second leg of our journey from Beijing to Mumbai was booked on a flight which did not exist. They explained that, during the Chinese New Year, the Beijing-Mumbai flight is always cancelled. That information had been available for over a year. They further explained that, if a travel agent had booked that flight, the travel agent would have been informed of the error on their part. They further suggested that I contact Travelocity directly.

I phoned Travelocity immediately, and spent 1.5 hours with various agents who all agreed it was Air China’s fault, and offered to no help. The call was eventually dropped while being transferred to a supervisor. In order to believe that the fault lay with Air China, one would have to believe that Air China posted a flight, cancelled it, posted the same flight again, then cancelled it again, then posted the same flight a third time, then cancelled it a third time. Air China, of course, says such a claim is preposterous.

I phoned back again, eventually reaching a Level 3 Support Agent in Las Vegas by the name of Gina Taylor. I spent the next 3.5 hours on that phone call, receiving endless promises that Travelocity would resolve the situation. Ms Taylor assured us she would do whatever was required to get us to Mumbai in time to begin our vacation. Since we had a computer available, we were checking options with other airlines, and each time, Ms. Taylor refused. She also could not tell us whether Air China would honor the return flights, so we did not even know whether we were looking for one-way or round trip tickets.

However, in the end, the only resolution offered was to rent a car to return to our home some 90 miles away (we had arrived by limo), and wait two days for another Air China flight. Since our vacation was only two weeks long, and because we had already pre-booked and pre-paid for activities in Mumbai, that clearly was not an option. Furthermore, it was Super Bowl weekend in San Francisco, so it is highly unlikely that any rentals would be available.

We walked over to British Airways and bought four round-trip tickets for a total of $12,876.80. As our original tickets were $801 each, Travelocity cost us just under $10,000 in additional fares due to its ineptitude and ignorance. The flights were much later than the Air China flights, and less convenient as we had to spend two nights in transit, but we did eventually arrive in Mumbai, a day late. As the hotel was prepaid for three nights, we also had to forfeit one night’s hotel stay.

Upon return from our vacation, I contacted Travelocity about receiving a refund for the BA flight for $12,876.80, as the mistake was undeniably theirs. After another eight hours on the phone on Feb. 22, I finally reached a Tier 3 Support Agent by the name of Rena. She told me she would do whatever she could to rectify the situation, and would get back to me within a week. She never phoned back.

On February 26th, I received a credit card credit in the amount of $4,832.42 from Travelocity. On the next day, Feb. 27, I received a full refund from Air China in four equal payments of $802.99. I puzzled over the amount from Travelocity for several days.

On March 9th, I again contacted Travelocity by phone, and again waited over two hours before being transferred to Tier 3 support. That individual explained that Travelocity had refunded all of the Air China flights and half of the difference between the BA flights and the Air China flights. I asked why only half was refunded, and he did not know. He promised to contact me within a week. Again, that did not happen.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss "all of the above" of travelocity flight booking and associated monetary loss in the amount of $4833. Travelocity needs to issue a full refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned travelocity flight booking in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Travelocity.

Had an Experience with Travelocity?

Comments

I agree completely. TRAVELOCITY IS CRIMINAL and also enables criminal "Hotel owners" to rip-off travelers by keeping 1 nights booking,( or more), even if the hotels conditions are completely unacceptable.